One Direction singer Niall Horan phoned Irish boxer John Joe Nevin to congratulate him on his bronze medal.
Nevin won his bantamweight quarter-final, thus securing at least a bronze medal for Ireland.
He is joined by Katie Taylor in bringing home boxing medals for Ireland.
Niall tweeted: "On the phone to @johnJoeNevin for the last hour! He's a sound lad! We grew up 100 yards away from each other, now he's goin for an olympic medal."
In response, Nevin tweeted: "Just spent a hour and half on the phone to @NiallOfficial wat a lad gas lad sound out he is some buzz." [sic]
Horan has been keeping his 5.6million followers up to date on the Olympics.
The Irish singer is also supportive of Taylor, writing "she [Taylor] is the best female boxer on the planet!
"doesn't know what its like to lose...heroic performance...cmon ireland."
He added: "26-15 katie taylor you are a legend! irish boxing is on fire"
Katie went on to take Gold medal for Women's Light (60kg) against Sofya Ochigava.
This article is powered by Well Contented Ltd
More About One Direction
- Russell Grant believes Harry Styles will embark on solo projects
- Nicholas McDonald thrilled to have One Direction star Niall Horan’s support
- Little Mix perform These Four Walls and talk about their love lives
- X Factor: Kingsland Road determined to follow in One Direction’s footsteps
- Zayn Malik praises Little Mix’s 'sick' Move ahead of X Factor performance
- One Direction continue global domination with – wait for it – 1D Day
- Oh bhoy! Louis Tomlinson set for face-to-face apology from Agbonlahor
People who read this story also read
- Harry Styles and Nick Grimshaw’s get fruity with naughty antics online
- One Direction's Liam Payne recovers from childhood kidney problem
- Niall Horan and Demi Lovato have eXciting date lined up
- One Direction spoiler: details of 1D's Olympics performance revealed
- Louis Tomlinson and Eleanor Calder engagement officially denied