Dirk Johnston’s prayers were answered when the handsome actor won a place in the final ten on Superstar. Now he hopes Scottish fans will get behind him in his bid to land the part of Jesus.
Dirk told stv.tv reporter Laura Boyd: “It’s absolutely incredible to be in the final ten. The biggest honour I could imagine. To be hand picked by Andrew Lloyd Webber for the chance to perform the most iconic role, it’s mesmerising.”
The 24-year-old’s parents live in Crieff, Perthshire, and he considers Scotland to be home, so he really hopes TV talent watchers north of the border support his Superstar dream.
He said: “I really hope the Scottish people get behind me – imagine, a Scottish Christ!”
Dirk was born to Scottish parents in Germany, where he spent most of his childhood. He then moved to Scotland and studied at the prestigious Morrison’s Academy, where Ewan McGregor was also a pupil. From there he returned to Berlin to study at an acting school, where he developed his love for theatre.
But it’s Dirk’s father who is responsible for igniting his obsession with Jesus Christ Superstar.
Dirk explained: “I’m a huge fan of the musical. My dad got me the DVD when I was 16 and I didn’t look at it for two years as I wasn’t really interested.
“Then, when I was 18, I decided to give it a go and I fell in love with the music as soon as I heard it. I used to drive my flatmates mad, constantly singing the tracks.”
The constant singing has clearly paid off as Dirk is one step closer to landing his dream role – but can he unleash his inner rock god and wow the crowds and the good Lord (Webber) tonight? We’ll find out when Superstar kicks off at 8pm.
SCOT A LOT OF TALENT
- Check out Dirk and the other finalists in the video player above
- Dirk made a music video on Superstar
Missed Dirk and the boys in action? Catch up with the show on the STV Player
People who read this story also read
- Superstar roundup: Andrew picks his new messiahs
- Superstar ten finalists revealed: the new messiahs are chosen
- Full trailer for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 revealed
- The STV Trailer Park: with Taken 2, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2, and Keith Lemon: The Film
- Scottish Superstar hopeful Simon Gordon will do anything for role of Jesus