Cheryl Cole has admitted that if not for her love of music her life could have headed in a completely different direction.
The Fight For This Love singer said that her "dream" of being a popstar helped keep her on the right track.
She told the Daily Mirror: "A lot of young people don't have focus and they don't know what they are going to do with their lives.
"If I hadn't had a dream, I could have gone off the rails and I could have had a very, very different life."
Cheryl added: "If I hadn't had a love for music, I could have gone down a different path and become lost."
The Girls Aloud singer visited the North East this week to visit people who have benefited from her Prince's Trust charity.
She also helped to inspire some of the students with tales from her childhood.
Cole said: "I had a horrible time as a teenager and wasn't very confident.
"Between the ages of 16 and 18, I was also in a horrible relationship.
"I get a lot of letters from fans saying that I've inspired them to go for their dreams because of my background."
This article is powered by Well Contented Ltd
People who read this story also read
- Cheryl Cole gets “hot under the collar” reading Fifty Shades of Grey
- One Direction star Harry Styles insists the show must go on
- One Direction boys given £20K personalised guitars by Boyce Avenue
- Niall Horan returns home from US with One thing on his mind...
- Zayn Malik set to impress Perrie Edwards as he splashes the cash