We all love the summer sunshine, but it can be difficult to keep your skin looking fresh and shimmering in the heat.
To avoid a make-up meltdown, stylist Julie Hannah and professional make-up artist Paula Rebanks had six top tips to keep you looking your best in the hot weather.
1. Primers are a must when wanting to ensure your make-up stays on all day, especially in the summer sun! Apply like a moisturiser to create a barrier between you and your make-up, creating a smooth surface in which your make-up can adhere well to. If you tend to have more oily skin choose a primer that will help to mattify and an illuminating primer to brighten duller skin.
2. Rather than using your everyday foundation in the summer months, opt for a tinted moisturiser. A great alternative that is lightweight, therefore leaving your skin looking and feeling fresh. Remember to make sure that your chosen product has an SPF 15+ to protect your skin from sun damage. Apply sparingly with a sponge for a flawless finish.
3. Although tinted moisturisers are perfect for achieving beautiful summer skin, not all of us are as flawless as our favourite 'photo shopped' celeb! If you are concerned that you need a little extra coverage, blemishes or red patches can be banished with the use of a powder foundation. Use a small flat brush and dab over any problem areas, as this won't clog and will keep your skin looking light and fresh.
4. To get that real summer 'glow' contour your face with the use of highlighters. These are available in a wide variety of colours to match every skin tone. Cream or liquid highlighters are perfect for a dewy look, whereas powder highlighters or shimmers look great against a matte foundation base. Apply your highlighter with a small brush (or your fingers) to your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, brow bone, cupids bow and the tip of your chin. Make sure you blend well to get rid of any harsh lines. This will accentuate your bone structure and create more dimension to your face.
5. Dipping in and out the pool can require some thought for fear of panda eyes. Cool down confidently at the beach by applying a waterproof mascara to your lashes. Keep your look natural by combing through your lashes with a metal comb to separate them and avoid clumping. Finish your look with a touch of colour on your lips. Choose a shade that is bright and cheerful - corals or pinks are perfect for making you stand out in the crowd, and let's face it all you need is a pair of sunglasses and a good lipstick to look chic. Lipgloss is a huge no no in the sun, the oils in them can burn your lips, so make sure you go for a lipstick or balm with a high SPF. There are loads of great products on the market with SPFs in them, so no excuses ladies!
- 6. Don't neglect your body! We cannot all be fortunate enough to tan without a little helping hand. Faking it is the way forward – but make sure you fake it well by exfoliating and moisturising. Add a shimmer body oil with gold tones in the evening to show off your beautiful sun-kissed skin.
- *Stila One Step Illuminating Serum, £24
- *Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 @ House of Fraser
- *Clinique Super Balance Powder Foundation
- *Urban Decay Cream Highlighter – Sin
- *Benefit Sunbeam Highlighter
- *Guerlain Terra Soleia Tan Enhancing Bronzer @ House of Fraser
- *Stila Passion Fruit Crush Lip and Cheek Stain
- *Bobbi Brown SPF Lip Colour - Guava
For more top tips and summer essentials, visit stv.tv/getthelook.