Simon Cowell has predicted that the charts will continue to be dominated by boybands and girlbands.
The music mogul made the comments during an interview on American radio.
He is quoted in The Sun saying: "You're going to suddenly see this year the emergence of boybands and girlbands taking over the charts.
"We had a group called One Direction who were on X Factor UK a couple of years ago.
"Their album launched in America and debuted at number one. This band were completely unheard of but very talented."
Cowell added that he is hoping to find a similar group on the next series of the US X Factor.
He said: "It would be great to find the next NSync, the next Backstreet Boys, the next Destiny's Child on X Factor - there is a gap in the market right now for a group like that from America."
He added: "This show has got to feel very very different to last year... more controversial."
This article is powered by Well Contented Ltd
More About One Direction
- Niall Horan can’t wait to catch up with One Direction lads at BRITs
- One Direction throw support behind Text Santa
- Russell Grant believes Harry Styles will embark on solo projects
- Nicholas McDonald thrilled to have One Direction star Niall Horan’s support
- Little Mix perform These Four Walls and talk about their love lives
- X Factor: Kingsland Road determined to follow in One Direction’s footsteps
- Zayn Malik praises Little Mix’s 'sick' Move ahead of X Factor performance