After months of preparations and weeks of exhausting, emotional rehearsals, I Dreamed a Dream opened at Newcastle’s Theatre Royal in March this year.
The exclusive clip in the player above, from STV documentary Desperately Seeking Subo, shows the cast getting ready for the first show and the nerves and excitement that were played out backstage, ahead of the curtain going up.
In a revealing moment, Elaine C. Smith, who plays Susan Boyle in the musical, explained how she wears a specific perfume to help her get into character.
She said: “You know I pick things, like I think this is the perfume Susan would wear.
"This is a real thing for me. Every character I’ve ever played has got a different perfume.”
Tony Priestly, wardrobe master on the show, joked with the actors and described the close bond the I Dreamed a Dream cast have, saying they are “12 people who are wonderfully hysterical.”
More About Susan Boyle
- Susan Boyle In Concert: singer to tour Scotland for first ever live shows
- Alesha Dixon: Scotland’s Got Talent but Susan Boyle was one off
- Stephen Mulhern praises Susan Boyle and reveals all about Simon Cowell
- Susan Boyle too busy working on new album to rock with fellow Scots
- Susan Boyle bitten by the acting bug as she plans more movie roles
- Susan Boyle has twinkle toes as she splashes cash in Scotland
- Susan Boyle shows caring side as singer teams up with charity Sciaf