After months of preparations and weeks of exhausting, emotional rehearsals, I Dreamed a Dream opened at Newcastle’s Theatre Royal in March this year.
The exclusive clip in the player above, from STV documentary Desperately Seeking Subo, shows the cast getting ready for the first show and the nerves and excitement that were played out backstage, ahead of the curtain going up.
In a revealing moment, Elaine C. Smith, who plays Susan Boyle in the musical, explained how she wears a specific perfume to help her get into character.
She said: “You know I pick things, like I think this is the perfume Susan would wear.
"This is a real thing for me. Every character I’ve ever played has got a different perfume.”
Tony Priestly, wardrobe master on the show, joked with the actors and described the close bond the I Dreamed a Dream cast have, saying they are “12 people who are wonderfully hysterical.”
More About Susan Boyle
- Susan Boyle 'relieved' as she reveals she has Asperger Syndrome
- Susan Boyle inundated with ‘cheeky’ begging letters
- Susan Boyle teases biopic and talks ‘cosy’ Christmas album
- Susan Boyle announces 'Susan Boyle in Concert' tour for 2014
- Radio Forth Awards: Susan Boyle, Boy George and JLS interviews
- Susan Boyle, JLS and host of heroes honoured at Radio Forth Awards
- Susan Boyle In Concert: singer to tour Scotland for first ever live shows