After months of preparations and weeks of exhausting, emotional rehearsals, I Dreamed a Dream opened at Newcastle’s Theatre Royal in March this year.
The exclusive clip in the player above, from STV documentary Desperately Seeking Subo, shows the cast getting ready for the first show and the nerves and excitement that were played out backstage, ahead of the curtain going up.
In a revealing moment, Elaine C. Smith, who plays Susan Boyle in the musical, explained how she wears a specific perfume to help her get into character.
She said: “You know I pick things, like I think this is the perfume Susan would wear.
"This is a real thing for me. Every character I’ve ever played has got a different perfume.”
Tony Priestly, wardrobe master on the show, joked with the actors and described the close bond the I Dreamed a Dream cast have, saying they are “12 people who are wonderfully hysterical.”
More About Susan Boyle
- Susan Boyle takes Ice Bucket Challenge dressed in swimming costume
- Susan Boyle proud to bring Commonwealth Games magic to children in hospital
- Susan Boyle celebrates her birthday in style in Leicester
- Susan Boyle admits she’s dreaming of a duet with Michael Buble
- Susan Boyle and Nicholas McDonald give up treats for charity
- Susan Boyle stuns Bathgate cafe customers with impromptu performance
- Susan Boyle proves she's a good bet after Ladbrokes job flurry