Downton Abbey makes a glorious return to TV screens this weekend, with the third series of the massively popular period drama coming to STV and ITV on Sunday (September 16).
New character Martha Levinson makes her big arrival in the highly anticipated new season, played by none other than Oscar winner Shirley MacLaine.
Set to lock horns with the Dowager Coutness (Maggie Smith), Martha is sure to stir things up amongst the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants.
Other key storylines in the third outing for Downton include the ongoing saga of Anna and Bates’s strained life together following his conviction for murder.
Lord Grantham also has to deal with the fallout from a poor financial decision, and Lady Mary and her Prince Charming Matthew Crawley prepare to finally say “I do”.
As we all know though, the course of true love never did run smooth – and it looks like Mary and Matthew could be set for a bit of turbulence yet…
Elsewhere Lady Edith is determined to pin down the object of her affection, Sir Anthony Strallan, and Lady Sybil and her new husband Branson are excitedly awaiting the arrival of their first child together. But after leaving Downton to marry the former chauffeur, will the family accept her back?
The drama kicks off in the new series kicks of this Sunday. Check out our gallery of photos from the first episode and check out the video in the player above to get a sneak peek of all the action.
More About Downton Abbey
- Downton Abbey star Lesley Nicol enjoys being in US
- Downton Abbey causes Matt Damon marital strife
- George Clooney not good enough for Downton Abbey
- Downton Abbey producer says not plans to end drama
- Downton Abbey Christmas Day Special: all the action unveiled
- Paul Giamatti found filming Downton Abbey 'bizarre and English'
- Downton Abbey Christmas Day special: video preview
- Downton Abbey: Shirley MacLaine on “extremely outspoken” Martha
- Downton Abbey’s star reveals all about Lady Mary’s wedding dress
- Downton Abbey: Shirley MacLaine struggled with period costumes
- Shirley MacLaine thrilled with haunted Downton Abbey set