Kate Middleton and Prince William couldn’t hide their outpour of emotions yesterday and the Royal couple gave a rare PDA (public display of affection) at the Olympic Games, as Sir Chris Hoy scored another medal for Team GB.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were so overcome with joy as they watched the Scotsman lead the men’s spring cycling team to a gold medal, that they hugged and kissed each other in front of the world’s media, who snapped furiously at the rare sight.
Normally the Royals maintain a stiff upper lip in public, showing little emotion. But Kate and Wills have become known for their fresh, youthful attitude, injecting a new lease of life into the monarchy.
And in doing so they have delighted many, who now see the Royals as more ‘in touch’ with the general public.
Yesterday was a proud day in Britain's history, with the cycling team winning gold, and Scots canoeist Tim Baillie and partner Etienne Stott paddling to a historic victory in the two-man Slalom, winning another gold for Team GB.
Chris, who hails from Edinburgh, has now won six Olympic medals – five of which are gold - equalling Sir Steve Redgrave's record.
The cyclist and his team-mates Jason Kenny, 24 and Philip Hindes, 19, smashed the world record for the men's team sprint, beating their fiercest rivals France.
Duchess Kate showed off a more casual look at the cycling competition yesterday, wearing a white polo shirt and blue jeans, with her long hair tied into a loose ponytail. Earlier in the day she had glammed up in a blue Stella McCartney dress, finished off with a navy Smythe blazer.
As Olympic ambassadors, Kate and Wills along with the Prince’s younger brother Harry, have been permanent fixtures at the London Games since the opening ceremony last Friday.
Today the 30-year-old is expected to attend the swimming at Olympic Park alongside husband William. The Prince will also attend the equestrian dressage at Greenwich today.
- The latest on the Royal Family
- Kate and Wills cheer Scottish tennis star Andy Murray to the semi-finals
- Royal couple jump for joy as Zara Phillips rides to silver medal victory
People who read this story also read
- Kate and Prince William jump for joy as Zara Phillips wins Olympic silver
- Kate Middleton giggles at Queen’s love for Dizzee Rascal
- Kate Middleton and Prince William cheer Andy Murray to Olympics glory
- Kate Middleton proves she’s strides ahead at the Olympics
- Kate Middleton dazzles in diamonds at Olympics exhibition