Christian Bale says his last performance as Batman was ''bittersweet''.
The 38-year-old actor plays iconic comic book character in 'The Dark Knight Rises' - the third and final movie in Christopher Nolan's trilogy - and he has admitted that hanging up his costume for the last time was an emotional moment.
He said: ''It was very bittersweet when I took off the cowl for the last time, because it's meant so much to play this character.
''It never stopped giving me goose bumps to stand in that suit, because I recognise the honour of having portrayed this icon. I can't help but feel immensely proud.''
Oscar-winner Christian is used to playing gritty characters, but felt at ease portraying Bruce Wayne and his superhero alter-ego because he says everyone can relate to his vulnerability and human emotions.
He added: ''One of the great things about this character is that the least relatable thing about him is his billionaire status. But the rest of it is understandable from an emotional perspective.''
Christian stars alongside Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman, Sir Michael Caine and Tom Hardy in the gritty superhero tale.
'The Dark Knight Rises' was released yesterday (20.07.12).
Copyright © bangshowbiz.com 2012.
People who read this story also read
- Johnny Depp relieved after Vanessa Paradis split
- Katie Holmes and Suri enjoy sweet treat away from divorce drama
- One Direction’s Louis and Liam step things up a gear with their girlfriends
- Ashton Kutcher caused Demi Moore feud with daughters
- Emotional reunion as Tom Cruise takes Suri for a day out in the Big Apple