Tom Cruise is ''really sad'' about his split from wife Katie Holmes.
The 50-year-old actor's attorney, Bert Fields, spoke about the developing story, admitting that he cannot reveal details of Tom's next move.
He told BBC News: ''Tactically we can't say where Tom will file a divorce case and if he'll be seeking joint custody of Suri.''
Katie has been making very public post-split appearances in New York City with their six-year-old daughter Suri Cruise, and Bert stated that Tom is a much more private person than his estranged partner.
He continued: ''We are letting 'the other side' play the media until they wear everyone out and then we'll have something to say.
''It's not Tom's style to do this publicly. He is really sad about what's happening.''
The 'Oblivion' star married the former 'Dawson's Creek' actress in November 2006.
Tom was apparently ''blindsided'' when Katie filed for divorce from him last week after five years of marriage and sought legal custody of their child.
It was reported he would file his own application for custody in Los Angeles, but it is not possible to file a case in separate states at the same time.
Copyright © bangshowbiz.com 2012.
People who read this story also read
- Katie Holmes' parents relieved about divorce
- Simon Cowell says he’ll never find a wife because he’s “selfish and weird”
- Katie Holmes and Suri enjoy sweet treat away from divorce drama
- Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez regularly split
- Kate Middleton and Prince William cause a stir as they turn up to Wimbledon