The Scottish fashion industry continues to thrive, with some of the hottest designers in recent times emerging from the country, as well as events like the Scottish Fashion Awards and the Scottish Style Awards helping cement the nation as one of the most stylish.
And US fashion stylist and media darling Brix Smith-Start thinks the reason behind the country’s success is the creativity Scotland inspires.
Asked about the country’s position in the fashion world, Brix – who was speaking at the recent Scottish Fashion Awards – said: “Right now it’s super-hot. I think everything goes in peaks and troughs. But there’s so much creativity here not only in fashion but also in art and in music and all those go together.”
She added: “I think Scottish fashion is so important to British fashion in general, it’s such a hot-pot of creativity that comes out of Scotland.”
The stylist – who is fellow fashion icon Gok Wan’s right-hand-woman on Gok’s Fashion Fix – is a huge fan of Scottish designers herself and revealed her favourite labels.
“I’m wearing Louise Gray tonight and she’s actually one of my style icons I think she’s incredible, from the way she dresses herself, to the way she does her own hair and makeup, to her collections which are so happy. They just make you smile and it’s for the right reasons.
“Of course I love Christopher Kane, of course I love Jonathan Saunders. There are so many.”
Referring to the Gok’s Fashion Fix episode in which she found out more about Isle of Lewis-based company Harris Tweed, whose customers have included Alexander McQueen, Calvin Klein and Vivienne Westwood, Brix added: “I’m really into Harris Tweed having visited them and done that whole thing. There’s amazing fashion in Scotland.”
THE STYLE FILE:
- More on this year's Scottish Fashion Awards
- Gallery of this year's Scottish Fashion Awards
- Scottish Fashion Icon Karen Gillan reveals details of new movie and Doctor Who sadness
- More on the Scottish Style Awards
More About Fashion and style
- Blooming beautiful celebrity style pregnancy fashion with Abbey Clancy
- Faye’s Fashion: 1920s Great Gatsby looks plus distressed jeans masterclass
- Bridget Jones granny pants storm into style as the ‘new thong’
- Teen fashion: from cheap chic to perfect prom wear
- Fabulous fashion for kids: stylish but economical looks for spring
- Ossie Clark creative designer Nic Georgiou on reviving the legendary brand
- Spring into style with Abbey Clancy’s pick of this season’s trends