As the nation gets set to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee, we have been taking a look back at the Queen’s visits to Scotland throughout the years.
Although she has been north of the border on many occassions, not least on her holidays to Balmoral, we were particularly taken by the clip of her Majesty travelling on a rather different mode of transport than we’re used to seeing her enjoy: the Glasgow Underground, or Subway as it is known.
The Subway originally opened on 14 December 1896, and is the third-oldest underground metro system in the world, after the London Underground and the Budapest M.
As the Queen and Prince Philip approached Buchanan Street station, the news presenter in the archive clip explained: “The train’s been checked absolutely and it’s been under close security since it arrived here at 8 o’clock this morning and the tunnel’s been searched inch by inch and for the whole journey, the train will be in radio contact with the computer centre at Govan.”
The royal party recieved an extremely warm welcome as crowds of cheery Glaswegians lined Argyle Street to catch a glimpse of the Queen.
HRH, dressed in an elegant beige coat and matching hat, waved fondly at the waiting public, who braved freezing temperatures for the special day.
This weekend, numerous events will be taking place throughout the country to celebrate the Queen’s 60 year reign.
Princess Elizabeth became Queen on February 6 1952, after her father, George VI, died unexpectedly in his sleep while his daughter was on tour in Kenya.
From Saturday June 2 till Tuesday June, the Queen will be joined by members of the Royal Family as she attends events including the Epsom Derby, the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the Diamond Jubilee Concert, being organised by Gary Barlow, and a special service of thanksgiving at St. Pauls.
Throughout the weekend on stv.tv/jubilee, we will be bringing you all the latest news, videos and pictures from the Jubilee events.
Planning a garden / street party to mark the occasion? Use our commen system to tell us about your plans.
BY ROYAL APPOINTMENT
- Gary Barlow so excited at Diamond Jubilee rehearsals
- Kate, Wills and Harry's Jubilee headache
- Kate excitedly prepares for Jubilee role
- The Queen's Diamond Jubilee: full list of events
- All the latest Diamond Jubliee and Royal news
- Her Majesty to visit Scotland in July for Diamond Jubilee celebrations
People who read this story also read
- The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee: full itinerary for this weekend's events
- All aboard! Royal Yacht Britannia leaves Scotland for key Diamond Jubilee role
- Kate Middleton and Prince William honoured by Queen’s Jubilee invitation
- Michael Fassbender tells STV about locating his ‘own little kink’ for Prometheus
- Kate Middleton excitedly prepares for key Diamond Jubilee role