News that Harry Styles and Caroline Flack have decided to call time on their relationship hit the headlines this morning, with reports suggesting the One Direction star instigated the split.
Now 17-year-old Harry has taken to Twitter to give his side of the story.
“Please know I didn't 'dump' caroline. This was a mutual decision. She is one of the kindest, sweetest people I know. Please respect that,” the heartthrob Tweeted.
As yet, Caroline has remained tight lipped on the subject but it is sure to be a sad day for the 32-year-old Xtra Factor presenter, who previously dubbed Harry “one of the nicest people I know.”
Their relationship hit the headlines due to the 15 year age gap between them.
Caroline faced a barrage of criticism and endured vicious and hurtful messages via social networking sites, including death threats from jealous One Direction fans.
She responded on Twitter, writing: “Hi One Direction fans! To clarify. I'm close friends with harry.. He's one of the nicest people I know...I don't deserve death threats. :) x.”
While the couple were clearly a talking point, friends and fellow celebs came out to back their romance, with Olly Murs, Dawn Porter and Max George lending their support.
The Wanted star Max, who knows all too well what it’s like having a high-profile relationship in the public eye, recently told Now magazine: “Harry Styles is doing alright with Caroline Flack, isn’t he?
“I’m delighted for the boy. I think it’s great for both of them.”
Sadly, Caroline and Harry are only the latest celebrity couple to go their separate ways.
2012 has seen Heidi Klum and Seal split, Loose Women star Andrea McLean confirm her marriage to Steve Toms is over and Tulisa and Fazer say so long after a festive break in the Maldives.
Valentine's Day is going to be a right laugh this year…
DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART
- What an 'insider' said about Harry and Caroline's split
- Are Heidi and Seal getting back together?
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand tried talking
More About One Direction
- Niall Horan can’t wait to catch up with One Direction lads at BRITs
- One Direction throw support behind Text Santa
- Russell Grant believes Harry Styles will embark on solo projects
- Nicholas McDonald thrilled to have One Direction star Niall Horan’s support
- Little Mix perform These Four Walls and talk about their love lives
- X Factor: Kingsland Road determined to follow in One Direction’s footsteps
- Zayn Malik praises Little Mix’s 'sick' Move ahead of X Factor performance