Huge crowds turned out to watch the Queen travel through the streets of London today, as the State Procession to mark her Diamond Jubilee got under way.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth travelled alongside Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. The Duke of Edinburgh is in King Edward VII Hospital, after being admitted with a bladder infection yesterday.
The Royal party travelled in the in the striking 1902 State Landau carriage, which was used by William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge last year, after the couple married at Westminster Abbey.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry travelled in another carriage following behind, and were met with huge cheers and crowds waving Union Jack flags.
There should have been three carriages carrying the senior Royal Party, but last minute changes following the Duke’s illness saw a last-minute change to the line-up.
The dry weather remained to allow the Royal party to travel through the city in the open-top carriage, flanked by members of Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, The Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Air Force Colour Squadron, and the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery.
A 60-gun salute by the King's Troop could be heard in front of Buckingham Palace.
The Queen looked delighted, and beamed as she travelled through London, with crowds of thousands cheering and waving as the carriage passed by. The procession followed a route from New Palace Yard, through Whitehall, to Trafalgar Square, through Admiralty Arch and down the Mal, befire finally entering the Centre Gates at Buckingham Palace.
Arriving at the palace, the Queen and the other Royals entered and will now have some time alone before they re-emerge at around 3.25pm this afternoon, when they appear on the balcony and an RAF flypast will takes place overhead.
- Details of all of today's Diamond Jubilee celebrations
- Crowds go wild for the Royals at St Paul's Cathedral
- Stars including Sir Paul McCartney delight the Royal Family
- Much more on the Diamond Jubilee
People who read this story also read
- Diamond Jubilee: Crowds go wild for the Queen and Royals at St Paul’s Cathedral
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee: facts you never knew about the monarch
- Kate Middleton is dazzling in McQueen at the Diamond Jubilee celebrations
- The Queen praises Gary Barlow’s Diamond Jubilee song
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee: itinerary of events for Tuesday June 5