A shadow has been cast over tonight’s Diamond Jubilee concert after news broke that Prince Phillip has been hospitalised.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who is due to turn 91 next Sunday, was taken to hospital today for second time in recent months.
The Queen will still attend the Diamond Jubilee concert but it has not yet been confirmed if this will affect the length of her appearance tonight or how many members of the royal family will now attend.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said that the Prince’s hospitalisation was a precautionary measure and that he was suffering from a bladder infection.
He has been taken to the King Edward VII hospital where he is being assessed and treated this evening. This news means that the Duke will be unable to join the Queen for her concert tonight and the rest of the celebrations tomorrow.
A Statement from Buckingham Palace said that the Duke was understandably disappointed that he will no longer be involved.
Tonight’s concert will include performances from Jessie J, JLS, Elton John, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones and Cliff Richard.
People who read this story also read
- Kate Middleton causes a splash in scarlet frock with tartan touch
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee: facts you never knew about the monarch
- Pippa Middleton looked far from blue as she joined the Thames Jubilee Pageant
- The Queen praises Gary Barlow’s Diamond Jubilee song
- Kate Middleton and Prince William honoured by Queen’s Jubilee invitation