The nominations for this year’s Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards have been announced, with Josie Long, Andrew Maxwell, Adam Riches and Nick Helm up for the main award.
It’s the 31st year of the prestigious awards, which has recently gone through various name changes. Last year Russell Kane won Best Comedy Show, Roisin Conaty won Best Newcomer, while Bo Burnham won the Panel Prize.
The nominations for Foster’s Best Comedy Show are:
- Adam Riches: Bring Me the Head of Adam Riches (read our review)
- Andrew Maxwell: The Lights Are On (watch our interview)
- Chris Ramsey: Offermation (watch our interview)
- Josie Long: The Future Is Another Place (watch interview above and read review)
- Nick Helm: Dare to Dream (read our review)
- Sam Simmons: Meanwhile
The nominations for Foster’s Best Newcomer are:
- Cariad Lloyd: Lady Cariad’s Characters
- The Chris and Paul Show
- Hannibal Buress: My Name is Hannibal : The Hannibal Montanabal Experience
- Holly Walsh: The Hollycopter
- Humphrey Ker is Dymock Watson: Nazi Smasher!
- Josh Widdicombe: If This Show Saves One Life
- Thom Tuck Goes Straight to DVD
- Totally Tom
Nica Burns, producer of the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards, said: “This record-breaking year of 505 eligible shows demonstrates the incredible strength of the UK comedy scene, which is bursting with talent both familiar and new and continues to grow at an astonishing rate.
“Not only that: in the run-up to this year’s Fringe, everyone was predicting that 2011 would be an exceptional year for newcomers – they were right. With 100 extra newcomer shows to consider, it came as no surprise that the panel was spoilt for choice. This inspired the longest debate in the history of the Newcomer Award, and a second vote. Result: an unprecedented shortlist of eight, all of whom the panel feels should be encouraged, as they clearly have a brilliant future in comedy.
The winners will be announced on Saturday August 27. The winners and nominees can be seen at the Foster’s Edinburgh Comedy Awards Show on Sunday August 28 at 3.50pm at Pleasance Courtyard.