Representing the “true anarchic spirit of the Edinburgh Fringe”, one of the highlights of the weekend’s Malcolm Hardee Awards was an eye-watering version of the infamous “balloon dance”.
Paying cheeky tribute to Prince Harry, the Greatest Show on Legs arrived onstage wearing nothing but a couple of balloons each – plus a mask of the royal family member whose nude snaps caused quite a stir last week.
Watch some (very carefully chosen) highlights in the video above, which avoids some of the copious nudity that occurred once the balloons were unceremoniously popped.
The Greatest Show On Legs “balloon dance” reportedly caused a national outcry when it was aired in the UK in 1982. The dance involves three naked men dancing whilst swapping balloons to cover their genitalia – with the late Malcolm Hardee among that original trio.
The weekend’s Malcolm Hardee Awards Show brought plenty of unforgettable sights. Its two-hour variety show was hosted by Miss Behave at The Counting House on Friday night.
Its highlights also included a Russian Egg Roulette contest featuring, among others, comedians Arthur Smith and Richard Herring.
The awards are given in memory of inimitable alternative comedy godfather Malcolm Hardee, who drowned in 2005.
More About Edinburgh Festivals
- Edinburgh Mela burns bright on Leith Links in 2012
- How far does the Festival fireworks concert waterfall fall?
- James Grant pares down for Edinburgh Fringe high note
- Malcolm Hardee Awards 2012: Stuart Goldsmith wins with his Cunning Stunt
- Malcolm Hardee Awards 2012: Trevor Noah collects million quid (award)
- Malcolm Hardee Awards 2012: Rubberbandits accept comic originality award
- Assembly Rooms announces 'hugely successful' Fringe return