The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge appeared to have a ball yesterday afternoon as they joined the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee tour of Nottingham.
After meeting Her Majesty off the Royal Train, they later visited Vernon Park, where they took great delight in taking part in a children’s sports day.
The park is the latest to be granted Queen Elizabeth II Fields In Trust status.
The Duke of Edinburgh was originally scheduled to take part in the visit but had to cancel as he continues to recover from a bladder infection.
Prince William took his grandfathers place and delivered a speech, praising his grandmother before saying: “This marvellous charity provides people of all ages up and down the country with the space to play sport, keep fit and generally get outside and enjoy themselves in the fresh air.”
Wills then fired a fake starting pistol for a race, something the Queen and Kate were seen chuckling at, before trying his hand at the javelin.
As he held the foam object, Kate, or Catherine as she is officially known, seemed to share a joke with her husband about the javelin. She was clearly impressed with his skills…
Next, it was the sporty Duchess’ turn to have a go and despite being immaculately dressed in a blue Missoni coat dress, chic navy cocktail hat by Rachel Trevor Morgan and navy court shoes, she gave it her best effort and launched the javelin into the air to cheers from the crowd.
Alison Moore-Gwyn, chief executive of Fields In Trust, told the Daily Mail that the royal visit meant a great deal to the city.
She said: “It's so exciting for everybody around here and for the city.
“It means everyone knows it will be safeguarded for the future. If they look for funds the funder will know funding will last.
“It's really thrilling to have them visit here.”
- Kate plans special party for William
- And she's also got a surprise in store for Pippa
- Get the latest Jubilee news here
People who read this story also read
- Kate Middleton to play matchmaker for Pippa at William’s birthday bash
- Kate Middleton and Cheryl Cole enjoyed girly gossip at Jubilee gig
- Kate Middleton on the right track as she joins the Queen in Nottingham
- Kate Middleton excitedly plans regal party for Prince William’s 30th birthday
- Clever Kate Middleton shows how to fake it at the Diamond Jubilee